Just bought some used Ubiquiti UniFI AP Long Range access points for my own internal project. The UniFi came with old firmware version 126.96.36.1990. So first thing I have to do is upgrade the firmware to the latest version.
Basically we can do firmware upgrade of the Ubiquiti UniFI by using the controller. Add the UniFI into the controller and then adopt it. Once it is connected to internet it will automatically detect available firmware update.
However using this method seems not work. The UniFi AP disconnected several times while updating. After waiting for around 30 minutes without success, I tried to upgrade the firmware using local upgrade via SSH. Using this method the firmware upgraded successfully.
- I wanted to learn how to set up a Motorola wireless AP and I am finding it to be a serious challenge. I have purchased 3 (2 new in a box) AP-5131 AP wireless AP's. I learned that Motorola does not have tech support unless you buy it. For someone who is trying to learn the product, that is not feasible.
- The AP-5131 access points are 802.11 abg screen but then it seems to take forever and then denies the usernamepassword I JUST SET through CLI. So we have RF barcode scanners that run off of access points that have high gain antenna's WITH NO ENCRYPTION AT ALL.
- How to upgrade WiNG AP firmware via CLI using FTP server How to upgrade a 200-Series switch via Command Line Interface (CLI) What Is The CLI Command To Disable Auto AP Firmware.
Ap 5131 Firmware Update 7.50
Follow the below instructions on how to do firmware upgrade of the Ubiquiti UniFi AP
The AP-5131 access points are 802.11 a/b/g but are total hell to work on. I have serialed up to the 5131 and restored the AP to factory defaults and can access admin level through the CLI just fine. Problem is I don't know the CLI so I need to access the GUI.
1. Download the firmware from https://www.ui.com/download/unifi. Make sure that you choose the correct firmware for your UniFi AP device.
2. Change the firmware filename to fwupdate.bin
4. Upload the fwupdate.bin file to the UniFi AP by using SSH / SCP
Change the IP 192.168.123.106 to your Unifi AP IP address. Login using default username and password of UniFi AP (username: ubnt password: ubnt)
If you see errors when you tried to upload the file via SCP/SSH like below:
then you need to add the option in the ssh / scp command as follows:
3. Login to the UniFi AP using SSH and check the current version. Check the UniFI information by typing ‘info’ in the terminal.
As you can see above, the firmware version of the UniFi AP is version 188.8.131.520.
4. Upgrade the firmware
fwupdate.bin file should currently be in the root / home directory. Verify by using ‘ls’ command. Move the fwupdate.bin to temporary folder (/tmp)
Now run the upgrade script ‘syswrapper.sh upgrade2 &’
Ap 5131 Firmware Update Download
During the update, the Unifi LED will be blinking green and orange. You can ignore the warning / error message ‘Could not open U-Boot env MTD device: open(/dev/mtd1) failed: No such file or directory’
Login to the UniFI AP and verify the firmware version by using ‘info’ command.
The UniFI AP has been successfully upgraded.
- Download to your PC: Odin 3 latest version.
- Next extract the firmware file.
- You should get 1 (if 1 file, choose it here) or 5 (if 5 file, choose it here) file:
- AP: 'System & Recovery'
- CP: 'Modem & Radio'
- CSC_***: 'Country & Region & Operator'
- HOME_CSC_***: 'Country & Region & Operator'
- Add all files to Odin 3.
- If you want to do a clean flash, use CSC_*** either use HOME_CSC_*** to keep your data and apps.
- Now turn off your phone and enter the Download mode. How to do all methods:
- Press and hold the Power key , the Volume UP button and the Bixby key.
- Press and hold the Volume Up and Down keys and then connect a USB cable.
- Press and hold the Power key ,the Volume down button and the Home key.
- Connect a USB cable, then press and hold the Bixby button and the Volume down key.
- Press and hold the Power key and the Volume UP button.
- Then connect your device to PC, Odin should detect your phone and COM port number will appear on the screen.
- Please specify only the F.Reset time and Auto-Reboot.
- Finally press the Start key. Your phone will now restart and disconnect from the PC.