Calculating the median from a frequency table is not as straightforward as many would want to think. Note that when working with a frequency table, the numbers might be repeating themselves a number of times and thus this might make it a little bit hard for us to get the median.
It is good to remember that the median is the middle number in a given list of numbers. If the total number is odd, then the median will be the middle one. But if the list is an even number, then we shall have to take n/2 + (n+1)/2 to get the median.
But how do you get the median when you have a frequency table?
Microsoft Excel’s AVERAGE function used to calculate the Arithmetic Mean of the given input. A user can give 255 input argument in the function. Half set of a number will be smaller than the mean and remaining set will be greater than mean. Finding the Mean. Enter the scores in one of the columns on the Excel spreadsheet (see the example below). After the data have been entered, place the cursor where you wish to have the mean (average) appear and click the mouse button. Select Insert Function (f x) from the FORMULAS tab. A dialog box will appear. Calculate mean, median, mode along with the minimum, maximum, range, count, and sum for a set of data. Enter values separated by commas or spaces. You can also copy and paste lines of data from spreadsheets or text documents See all allowable formats in the table below. See how to use Excel 2016 to figure out the mean, median, and mode using raw data and data in a frequency distribution table. Note: The median function is only available in Power Pivot for Excel 2016. Check this 5 min video below to get more information about Power Pivot To show how to calculate the median (or another measure) in PivotTables, I’ll use a sample dataset that contains shipping data.
This post provides an easy way on how one can get the median from a frequency table.
Figure 1. Final result
Finding Mean Median Mode In Excel
- For us to get the median of values in a frequency table, we first need to tabulate our table with the values and the number of times the values occur. This is as shown in figure 1 above where we have the values in column A and their frequencies in column B.
- After that, we need to get the maximum number in the array so that we can have columns equal the total number of values in the list. This is as shown from cell D1:M10. Notice that the max value is 10.
- We then have the following formula in cell D2;
- We then copy this formula across the entire range, from cell D2:M11. This will bring each individual number and not as a frequency.
- After that, we use the normal excel MEDIAN function to get the median of the array of values as shown below;
Instant Connection to an Expert through our Excelchat Service
Finding Mean Median And Mode In Excel For Macs
Most of the time, the problem you will need to solve will be more complex than a simple application of a formula or function. If you want to save hours of research and frustration, try our live Excelchat service! Our Excel Experts are available 24/7 to answer any Excel question you may have. We guarantee a connection within 30 seconds and a customized solution within 20 minutes.