Reset ESXi 6.5 evaluation
Sometimes you need to run your ESXi server in evaluation mode for longer time then standard 60 days. It might be because of extensive testing or your project gets into the delays.
This video will help you to automate the vmware esxi 6.5 trial reset method to reduce the workload. But it is not recommended to use in production environmen.
- Here's a one liner to reset the eval period: cp /etc/vmware/.#license.cfg /etc/vmware/license.cfg && /etc/init.d/vpxa restartDownload ESXi: http://mgnet.me/.
- Dec 12, 2018 Target: Esxi Host Status: Cannot complete the license assignment operation 'vCenter agen for VMware host' The Evaluation Mode license on 'Host' Esxi Host can not be changed to. To downgrade the license, first disable the following features.
- The evaluation mode provides the set of features equal to a vSphere Enterprise Plus license. Before the evaluation mode expires, you must assign to your hosts a license that supports all the features in use. For example, in evaluation mode, you can use vSphere vMotion technology, the vSphere HA feature, the vSphere DRS feature, and other.
- The ESXi 6 evaluation license is valid for 60 days and a free one can be obtained from VMware at anytime. Resetting the evaluation license provides continual access to all the features available, and most importantly for me, full compatibility with the ESXi Embedded Host Client.
Fortunately, there is a way how to reset the license back to day 0 without losing the configuration and existing virtual machines.
Whole procedure is absolutely safe, even your running virtual machines will be kept up and running. Only behavior that you will observer is that you will lose management connectivity to your ESXi server for several seconds because of restarting management agents on the host.
First, we need to remove existing license
In the next step, we will upload fresh evaluation license that is already included in the host itself
And lastly, we need to restart management agents
And that’s it. Your host is back with fresh evaluation license and you have another 60 days of testing.
You can also automate this procedure and create single shell script that will be executed by CRON every 59 days so you will never run out of the trial period.
Please be aware that this approach is only for evaluation purposes. You should always properly license your hosts when running production environment!
If you are thinking about tuning long-term LAB environment you might be also interested in VMUG Advantage program which gives you access to several licenses including VMware vSphere, vSAN or NSX for yearly fee of 200$ which is really cost-effective solution without additional hacks like this one.
Quoted directly by Aaron from:
“This guide will give you the steps needed to reset the license file so that you can apply the evaluation license back to your ESXi host.
WARNING:This is for education/informational testing/development purposes only, and should not be used on a production server.
To reset your expired ESX 4.x, ESXi 4.x, ESXi 5.x or ESXi 6.x 60 day evaluation license:
- Login to the HOST via SSH or Shell
- Remove /etc/vmware/license.cfg
- Copy /etc/vmware/.#license.cfg to /etc/vmware/license.cfg
- Restart the vpxa service
Or simply copy the code below and paste it into your SSH session.
Vcenter 6.7 Assign Vcenter License
Then open the “Licensed Features” option in the configuration tab of the ESXi host through the vSphere Client.
Click on “Edit” in the top right of the “Licensed Features” page
Once the “Assign License” window opens you will see two options. There will be a category for “Evaluation Mode” and Assigned License. Click on the “(No License Key)” option and then click “OK”. This will set the host back to “evaluation” mode and will give you access to all features for 60-days!”