- Discord can't hear anyone glitch while using the Discord application to communicate with someone. If there is a bug within the Discord application itself.
- Nov 18, 2019 Why Can’t I Hear Anyone On Discord?(Fix It In 2020) Method 1:- Restart Your Device. The first method to fix the Discord can’t hear issue is restarting your working device. Method 2:- Close the Third-Party Application. The second method to fix the Discord can’t hear anyone issue is closing.
- A method that is regularly overlooked is setting your headphones to your default communications device. It's done in Windows, so sometimes it can be missed by people troubleshooting this issue. We have had great success with this method when helping others who can't hear people in Discord. Let's get right into how to do this: 1.
I went to the discord settings and I changed the input device to Microphone (R) and the output device to my headphones and while I was changing the settings i was playing a video on youtube while I was also on a call with a friend. As soon as I heard the video I heard the games sound so I hope this might help you all.
Discord is quickly becoming the preferred communication platform for gamers, but recently, some of its users have been complaining that it is not able to recognize the microphone connected to the system. Well, if you are one of these people and are wondering how to fix discord not picking up mic, then you have come to the right place because in this guide I have discussed five easy to follow methods for resolving this issue for good.
Discord is like a social networking platform built considering the needs of the gamers. You, as a user, can create your own community or can join others. You can even communicate with your community members via messaging, voice, or video chat.
Unlike Teamspeak or mumble which are self-hosted messaging and voice platforms, Discord is hosted on their own servers and also by Microsoft. To use it, all you have to do is sign up. It’s a 100% free platform and gives you the freedom to have unlimited connected members. Additionally, according to the official statement, Discord is going to remain free for everyone. Furthermore, they have no plans to change their operating policy in coming future.
Everything sounds great, right?
Well, the only problem is that some Discord users are experiencing problematic glitches. Issues with the push to talk, mic, OS compatibility, etc. are in rising, and their customer support rarely responds to support requests.
5 Ways to Fix Discord Not Picking Up Mic
One of the biggest issues with Discord is related to microphone recognition. Many users have been complaining that they are able to listen to their team players while playing games, but teammates aren’t able to listen to the user. I have also experienced the same while I had a multiplayer match with my friend. I have also noticed that I am facing this issue only when I use discord’s desktop application. If I use the web-based app, then everything seems to be working perfectly fine.
If you are also facing the same issue, don’t worry. Here in this guide, I will walk through five working methods which will help you to fix this problem.
I decided to create this troubleshooting guide for my audience because I have faced this issue personally. I know how frustrating it can be when you are participating in challenging gameplay then suddenly you realize that your mic is not working.
Run With Administrator Privilege
Administrative privilege is a unique authentication system in Microsoft OS. It helps to protect user computers from malicious files that could automatically gain administrative access and start corrupting system files.
Now whenever any application needs to access any privileged API to perform its tasks, Windows will instantly give a pop-up message asking you to confirm the activity. Only when you confirm, that application can start and access the restricted APIs.
One of such privileged API in Windows OS is UDP in Winsock. Discord needs access to this API to transmit recorded audio from your computer to your channel. It also means that you might need to give administrative access to all those applications installed on your computer, which you use to stream audio-visual data from your computer.
So if discord push to talk is not working then you can try starting it with administrative privilege. There are two different ways to do it, and you can check the steps below.
The First Method.
- Right-click on the discord’s shortcut icon on your computer.
- Choose “Run as administrator” option.
Remember, you will have to repeat this every time you start the application. If you always want to open Discord with administrator privilege, then follow the second method listed below.
Why Can't I Hear People In Discord
The Second Method.
- Right-click on the discord shortcut icon on your desktop.
- From the menu, click on the “Properties”.
- Click on the “Compatibility” tab.
- Finally, click on “Run this program as an Administrator” option and click on the “Apply” button.
Log Out And Then Log In
One of the oldest tricks of fixing any website related issue is logging-in and then logging out. Even the savviest computer expert can’t always explain how this method somehow miraculously fixes weird issues in web-applications and sites.
Just as this solution can be the fast and easy way to fix other computer-related issues, it may also be the perfect fix for discord not picking up mic.
Often the simple act of logging out of Discord and then logging back into your account might fix the mic related issue.
To accomplish this, all you need to do is go to your user settings that are typically found in the bottom left corner of your screen. You may have to scroll down until you find the log out button but once you do you have to simply click on it and confirm that you do indeed want to log out. On occasions, it may be necessary to repeat this process more than once to get the result that you’re looking for.
After you log out, you will need to log back in. To do this will require that you reinsert your login credentials. Once you are logged back in simply do a quick check to make sure that your buddies can hear you.
Microphone Not Working on Discord? Make Sure To Choose The Right Mic
It is very common today for the average user to have multiple mics connected with their system. This means that when we use various software or apps, they can choose which mic it will use. Commonly there will be a default mic, and if you are using a different one, you’ll have to set that to be used. Sometimes, however, we think we have a particular mic set as the default, and yet software and apps can choose a different mic.
If you find that your mic seems to be working in every way except that your buddies can’t hear you when using Discord, then make sure that it is selected to use the correct mic. If you find that it is set to use the built-in microphone and you wanted to use the microphone on your headset or your desktop, then you just simply choose the one you want to use, and that should remedy the problem. It’s easy to overlook this possibility because the average user will assume that everything is set up for the microphone that they are trying to use.
To check which microphone you are set to use click on the icon for user settings. Then look for voice and video. There you will see a drop-down menu that allows you to select the microphone you want to use. Click on the drop-down arrow and then just choose the mic that you want to use with Discord. Don’t forget to max out your volume slider before you exit.
Adjust The Automatic Input Sensitivity Setting
Sometimes the automatic input sensitivity gets disabled. It could be that you clicked on that by accident or there could be some other reason that it became set to the disabled state. In either case, you might need to enable it to fix mic not working on discord.
This is one of the common mistake new users usually make while they are trying to adjust their “Voice” related settings and accidentally disable the “input sensitivity” option.
When you disable this option, you get the option to adjust the sensitivity of your microphone. Now, the problem is that this function is sometimes buggy. So, most of the time manual settings don’t work, and thus you can’t record or stream your audio.
To fix this, you can follow the steps listed below.
- You need to open up the Discord app on your computer.
- Then you need to click on the “User settings” option. You will find it on the left-hand side of the app, and it has a gear symbol (⚙️).
- Now you need to click on the “Voice and video” option under the “APP SETTINGS” section.
- You will now have to scroll down until you see “input sensitivity.” Once you find it, click on the toggle button. Please check the image attached below for clarification.
Once you’re done following and implementing the above-listed steps, you can test your mic by talking to it.
If the “bar” glows with gree color, then it means your mic is working perfectly fine, and now you can record and stream your audio.
Fix Discord Not Picking up Mic by Resetting Your Voice Settings
On many occasions, discord won’t pick up mic if you connect a new headset or microphone to your system. One of the best ways to fix this problem is by resetting your voice settings. If any of the methods listed above didn’t work, you can follow this method and hopefully it will fix all your problems.
In order to reset voice-related settings, kindly follow the steps listed below.
- Remove any plugged headset, earphone or microphone from your computer.
- Open up the Discord application installed on your computer with administrative privilege.
- At the bottom of the left-hand side of the screen, you will see a gear icon (⚙️). Click on this gear icon.
- Scroll to the “APP SETTINGS” and then click on the “Voice and Video” option.
- Now, you need to scroll down till you find a red-colored “Reset Voice Settings” option. Once you find it, click on it.
- After clicking, you will get a pop-up message asking you to confirm your action. Click on the “Okay” button to confirm the purge of local mutes and local volumes.
- Now re-connect your mic and check if it is working.
In this troubleshooting guide, I have shared five working methods to fix discord, not picking up mic on Windows OS and on its official website. If you think this guide helped you in any way, please take the trouble to share it with your friends.
If you have got any questions or want any help with any of the methods listed here, please let me know of it in the comment section below.
Discord is a VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) application designed mainly for gamers, but even non-gamers can use it for voice and text interactions. However, sometimes, you may not hear other people while voice chatting over an exciting game.
When that happens, it’s an indication that something is wrong with your audio settings. You may have to look out for the green sound indicator to be sure it’s not a network issue. Also, there may be a bug affecting the Discord app’s audio.
Whatever the case might be, fixing this problem is no longer difficult. In this guide, we will teach you how to fix the audio issue on Discord.
What Is Discord?
Discord is a chat platform for gamers. It is accessible on Windows, macOS, Android, Linux, and iOS devices. Gamers can use Discord on a website, but it’s better to use an application to chat on the platform.
Why Can T I Hear In Discord
To chat over Discord, you have to create a new server or join an already existing one. The servers are game communities where people communicate, and it’s impossible to interact with other users without joining one directly.
Each server has channels that allow users to text or voice chat. Also, the platform has other options, such as buying gifts and sending them to other gamers, deleting channels you’re no longer interested in, and lots more.
Besides, there are servers and channels for users who are not necessarily game freaks. Therefore, non-gamers may also find this platform useful for interacting with different people.
More importantly, using Discord is free. Moreover, the platform will always be accessible without charge, according to the management.
Why Does the Sound Not Work on Discord?
There are quite a few reasons why the audio may not work on your Discord application. The most likely causes include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Mic input not functioning
- Audio output not functioning
- The wrong device set as the default audio device
- Viruses preventing your audio from working
- Outdated audio device drivers
- Your OS needing an upgrade
You may need to check for those issues if you can’t hear any sound while voice chatting. Also, you may have to learn how to enable audio on Discord.
In any case, we will cover all the details for you in the following paragraphs so you can start listening to other users without any disruptions.
Method 1: Restart Your Computer
Performing a simple restart is almost always the first thing to do whenever you are experiencing any issue on your Windows 10 PC. After restarting your computer, open your Discord app to see if everything is working fine already.
If the sound is still not working, try adjusting Discord settings using the method below.
Method 2: Check Discord Settings
The first thing to check when the sound is not working on Discord is the app’s audio settings. If you figure out the issue quickly, you won’t have to try the other troubleshooting methods.
1. Check If You Are Muted
You may have unknowingly muted yourself or another user while setting up a conversation. In this case, you can quickly identify this using the mic or headset icon.
If any of the icons (mic or headset) is crossed with a slanted line, you have deafened yourself or other users. Click the crossed icon to unmute yourself or those users.
Also, the admin of a server or channel can mute you, making it impossible for you to hear what others say on the platform. Reach out to the admin and ask them to unmute you from their end. That should solve the problem. Otherwise, check the Discord settings outlined below.
2. Check Channel Permissions
If you have the time, try joining other servers and channels, and then observe if the sound is also not working. If the situation is different on other servers, reach out to the server admin and tell them to enable the following voice permissions:
It should work after that. If not, try the next fix below.
3. Adjust Volume Settings
This issue often comes up when users are having a one-on-one conversation. In this case, you may have changed the volume settings, and you’ll need to right-click the user’s icon. After that, use the volume slider in the menu to adjust the volume.
Method 3: Troubleshoot Your Desktop Client
If you’re running a Discord desktop client on a Windows 10 computer, you will find the following tips helpful:
- Verify if your OS is compatible with the Discord app. You can use this link to check that.
- Update your computer to the latest OS.
- Upgrade your Discord app to the most recent version.
- Quitting and then restarting the Discord app may also help.
- Check all the audio jacks on your computer. You may have plugged your audio device into a port that’s no longer working.
- Check your app permissions for Discord to be sure that the microphone is supported.
Resolve PC Issues with Driver Updater
Unstable PC performance is often caused by outdated or corrupt drivers. Auslogics Driver Updater diagnoses driver issues and lets you update old drivers all at once or one at a time to get your PC running smoother
Ensure that your sound/audio drivers are up to date. If not, download Auslogics Driver Updater now. It will update all the faulty and outdated drivers on your computer. The manual process of updating drivers is lengthy and complicated, and we won’t discuss it in this guide.
If you have done the basic checks and the sound is still not working on your Discord app, try the next steps:
- Click on the cog icon in the bottom-left corner of your Discord app interface. In the left pane, select Voice & Video to access the settings.
- Check your input mode to ensure that Push to Talk isn’t activated.
- Switch your input/output to your specific audio device.
- Adjust the volume settings for your input and output.
- If adjusting the settings gets too complicated, you can use the Reset Voice Settings option for activating the default audio options.
- Disable the Ensure Quality of Service High Packet Priority option under the Quality of Service section.
Protect PC from Threats with Anti-Malware
Check your PC for malware your antivirus may miss and get threats safely removed with Auslogics Anti-Malware
Are you still unable to hear the sound on your Discord app? Try the following advanced checks:
- Delete and reinstall the Discord app.
- Viruses may affect how you hear the sound on Discord. Therefore, try using an antivirus program to detect harmful entities on your computer. You can use Auslogics Anti-Malware for this. It is reliable and easy-to-use, and it does not conflict with your primary antivirus program. This software can detect anything that may be harmful to your computer.
- After using an anti-malware tool, relaunch the Discord app or download the beta version.
Method 3: Troubleshoot Your Browser
This method is applicable if you are using Discord on your web browser. (We recommend you install and use the app directly on your computer, but it’s okay if there are reasons why you prefer the web application).
The following steps will help you resolve the issue quickly:
- Make sure that your browser is compatible with the Discord app.
- Check the browser’s ‘permission’ settings to ensure you have allowed Discord to use your microphone.
On a Final Note
Have you tried all the methods yet? Did they work for you? If you still need to know more about how to fix the audio issue on Discord, reach out to us or drop a line in the comment section below. You can also check our blog for solutions to other Windows 10 problems.